Decarbonization: 4,120 tonnes of CO2 saved, based on an emission rate of 0.241 kgCO2/kWhth consumed and 0.0339 kgCO2/kWhe produced.
Energy gain : 41,300 MWhth saved per year
Productivity gain : Study on the use of arc furnaces simultaneously, impossible as it is, for a 50% increase in production.
Location : Pas-de-Calais (62) – Hauts de France – France
Sector : Metallurgy
Needs – customer requests :
The customer wanted to find a way to optimize the waste heat output from electric arc furnaces. By modifying the cooling train of these ovens and extracting more calories, the customer can comply with the regulations on atmospheric emissions by using the two ovens simultaneously. Through this, the client wishes to increase its production by 50%.
The objective of this study was also to reduce the consumption of their electric arc furnaces by drying their products before charging. The excess energy available would then supply a need external to the site on the same industrial platform.
- Analyze the waste heat deposits available at the level of the electric arc furnaces and the energy requirement at the dryer and outside the site.
- As a result of this characterization, Eco-Tech Ceram sought the most relevant solutions to satisfy energy needs as much as possible.
- Each of the solutions was presented to the client via a complete report respecting Ademe ‘s specifications on the feasibility studies.
Eco-Tech Ceram achievements:
- Each solution has been studied in such a way
- Study of the principle diagram
- Sizing of equipment
- Thermal study of the solution
- Aeraulic study of the solution
- Solution design
- Energy and environmental balance
- Costing of the solution
- Economic study of the solution and financial arrangement
Description of the solution proposed by Eco-Tech Ceram:
The chosen solution, visible below, incorporates two fume/air collectors with a unit power of 3.75 MW. These heat exchangers supply 3 pairs of Eco-Stock®. Each storage can store 2.2 MWh in permanent mode. When they are discharged, a need external to the site and dryers of recycled products are supplied.